Is your Inbox weighing you down? Are you never getting around to reading those emails you signed up for? (raises hand!) You keep missing important emails you didn’t see?
Let’s talk about how you can get over Inbox bloat and actually get things done, GTD. These are some of my tips and tricks.
- Don’t use your Inbox as a filing cabinet. READ, FILE, ACT UPON, DELETE all emails in it. Keeping it tidy.
- UnSub from newsletter subscriptions you are no longer interested in.
- Use a TO READ folder to put those items you want to read later. PLAN a time to READ them ALL!!! Action steps folks, action steps!
- Anything that requires immediate action, DO IT NOW.
- Anything you can delegate to someone else, DO IT NOW. Hit that forward button.
- STAR anything important and leave it in the INBOX till you get time to really focus on it and take action on it. But do it within 12 hours, PLAN this step too.
- If you can, setup RULES to file your automated messages you receive in your Inbox. This really cuts down on Inbox bloat. Review these folders later on and make them all read when you can.
- UnSub from CRAP emails. Just do it. You don’t need 3 emails from that one store everyday. Ugh. Maybe even change you subscritpion, by updating you profile, if you really need to know when that sale is.
- Keep your COUPON emails in one folder, so you can use them at the store. Delete old coupons. Set-up a time to review this folder once a week I even set a date on my one digital calendar to remind me to use that coupon too.
- Keep all “purchase” emails in one folder too. This allows for easier searching when you need to check it’s tracking. Use an tracking app on your phone too. I use AfterShip to hold all my tracking numbers.
- Ask for receipts to be emailed to you, then file them in the “purchases” folder.
- At the end of the day before you quit the PC, scan you actionable emails to see if there is anything left to do. DO IT. Then move or delete that email. Creating good habits is key to keep the Inbox bloat down.
I hope these tips and tricks will help you. Anything I missed, please comment below. Any suggestions or comments please comment below.